I remembered the first day I saw it – that unmistakable little Real Salt Pocket Shaker suddenly appearing all over my Instagram.
That’s clever I thought – a little salt shaker you can take with you when you go out for a bite.
I’d been into salt for years at this point.
I mean, I was aware that table salt is just horrible, processed flavour enhancer and I knew I needed to be buying Himalayan Pink Salt or local sea salt from the UK.
Unprocessed salt has all the minerals humans need to feel and perform our best!
Benefits of consuming unprocessed salt
Salt is essential for sustaining the hydration levels of the body. It is extremely vital to maintain the electrolyte balance for the smooth functioning of the organs. These electrolytes primarily entail magnesium, potassium, calcium, and sodium. 
For people who regularly workout, it is crucial to replenish both salt and water shortages that occur through sweating. Replenishing salt/minerals/electrolytes in the body can be as simple as adding a sufficient amount of high quality salt to our meals. (Or in my case, adding it to homemade electrolyte drinks)
Improves Cardiovascular Health
It has been shown that dietary salt determines the blood pressure of the body and has an impact on cardiovascular health. High blood pressure or hypertension is a major cause of strokes and heart attacks. Inadequate intake of calcium, magnesium, and sodium can cause health issues. The old myth used to be that too much salt results in high blood pressure, but newer studies are coming out saying the opposite is most likely true. Low blood pressure ( a reading below 90/60) can be managed by consuming more salt and hydrating fluids. This will help boost the volume of blood in the arteries, resulting in a rise in blood pressure. 
Healthy levels of insulin are required to maintain a healthy body. Diets with low levels of salt can weaken the body’s sensitivity towards insulin and reduces the body’s ability to metabolise glucose, providing poor levels of energy to the liver, muscles, and nervous system, possibly leading to type 2 diabetes. 
Ensures Healthy Pregnancy
Pregnant mothers need to be as healthy as they can be to increase the chances of a healthy baby. Along with other dietary needs, adequate salt intake is recommended by doctors to maintain good health. 
Prevents Hyponatremia (Water Intoxication)
Hyponatremia is a condition in which the body suffers from a shortage of sodium (salt) in the fluids present outside the cells. This can be caused by overhydration with water, perspiration, or diarrhea, and is also known as water intoxication. 
To maintain healthy blood pressure and smooth functioning of your nerves and muscles, the body needs an adequate amount of sodium. When this optimum level of sodium falls, water enters the cells to compensate. This results in an imbalance of water to the salt ratio in the body, causing swelling in the cells because of excess water.
Combats Sun Stroke
Heatstroke is a condition that occurs when the body’s heat-regulating system falls short. This can occur both by being out in the hot sun for a long duration as well as overheating in the surrounding environment, such as work areas. The body fails to release heat properly to attain its normal temperature. As a result, the body temperature becomes too high, which poses a threat to the major organs. In an attempt to cool itself down, the body produces more sweat through the sweat glands, thereby losing essential salt (sodium) and water. 
Antalya Escort Bayan
Prevention of heat or sunstroke is always advisable by keeping the body hydrated and consuming adequate amounts of salt in order to maintain the electrolyte balance. A person suffering from heatstroke can be treated by offering water or fluids that contain sugar and salt. twitter ucuz takipçi
Maintains Dental Hygiene
Painful bacterial infections like trench mouth can cause ulcers in the gums, which can be subsided using a saltwater rinse. The rinse can be prepared by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of salt mixed with 1 cup of warm water. It helps reduce swelling and soothes sore gums.
Treats Sore Throat
Pharyngitis, commonly known as a sore throat, can be alleviated by repeated gargling with a cup of warm water mixed with ½ teaspoon of salt. 
Relieves Muscle Cramps
Research studies indicate that the use of nasal irrigation using saline or salt water helps in treating nasal and sinus problems.
Those are just some of the health benefits of salt.
Personally, my favourite way of using my Real Salt ( besides covering my steak in it on a daily basis) is a performance enhancer before a work out.
I literally pour a 20 Pence coin sized pile into the palm of my hand and throw it back with a few mouthfuls of water about 30 minutes before my workout.
This temporarily increases blood pressure and blood flow, increasing oxygen and nutrient delivery to my muscles and the boost in other minerals provided by Real Salt also has a beneficial effect on actual energy transfer between cells and tissue, helping me push harder and faster for longer.
So, Why Real Salt?
Well, the main reason was the taste. I know, isn’t salt, salt?
Well, apparently not.
The first time I tried Real Salt, I was hooked. It just tastes…better.
In what way? Tough to say. It tastes richer…fuller…deeper.
- Real Salt is mined from ancient seas deep inside the American continent, in Utah, where it has laid buried beneath the Earth since the Jurassic Period. This means it is completely free of any modern toxins and pollutants found so commonly almost everywhere else on Earth.
Unlike modern day sea salts which are harvested from current oceans, which, unfortunately we know, are full of toxins and pollutants which may remain in the salt after harvesting.
- Real Salt is completely unprocessed and unheated. This means it still retains its natural mineral profile of over 60 essential minerals.
- Just like minimally-processed flour is healthier than enriched, bleached, white flour,
Real Salt is healthier than white salts because of the things we don’t take out of it. Real Salt is approximately 98% sodium chloride and 2% trace minerals, and it’s these 60+ trace minerals that make Real Salt real. Some of these minerals don’t dissolve in water, but they are bio-available (your body can absorb and use them as nature designed) and are good for your health
- Most sea salts are refined and have additives. By simply taking a minute to read your salt label, you can quickly determine whether or not your salt has been processed and refined. The list of different additives can be confusing. Our advice, of course, would be to stay away from refined salt. If your salt lists one of the following common ingredients it has been refined or processed: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Iodide, Silicon Dioxide, Yellow Prussiate of Soda (YPS), Sodium Ferro Cyanide (E535), Sodium Silicoaluminate, Magnesium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Silicate, Potassium Iodide, Tricalcium Phosphate, Dextrose (sugar), Potassium Chloride, Potassium Bitartrate, Potassium Glutamate, Adipic Acid, Fumaric Aci,d Polyethylene Glycol 400, Disolium Inosinate, Polysilicate, Potassium Iodide
- Many salt and sea salt manufacturers have added chemicals to their salts for various reasons, including to control stability, color, taste, and anti-caking. Some of these additives, although they may be in small quantities, may have side effects over a long period of time. If you would like to know the potential side effects of these additives, look up the MSDS sheet. What you find might surprise you.
- Himalyan Pink Salt used to be my go to for my salt, but scattered reports of fake pink salt and slave labour and exploitation in the areas where the Himalayas are mined has made me a lot more reluctant to support that salt. Real Salt is completely free of exploitation and fake salt.
Red Light Rising will be offering two different sizes of Real Salt, the ones that James and I use the most.
Head to our shop now and get some Real Salt in your life!
Blog readers can get 10% off their first purchase of Real Salt with coupon code REAL10