Good news for the men (and women) out there that may be experiencing androgenetic alopecia – baldness or thinning of the hair for short.
Understanding Hair Growth
- The anagen phase is known as the growth phase. This is the phase where the hair physically grows.This stage of hair growth can last from two to six years.The longer the hair stays in the anagen phase, the longer it will grow. About 85% – 90% of the hairs on one’s head are in the anagen phase at any given time
- Next is the catagen phase, also known as the transitional phase, which allows the hair follicle to, in a sense, renew itself. During this time, which lasts about two weeks, the hair follicle shrinks and the hair detaches and is cut off from its nourishing blood supply.
- After that, the telogen or resting phase (also known as shedding phase). The follicle remains dormant for one to four months. In this phase the epidermal cells lining the follicle channel continue to grow as normal and may accumulate around the base of the hair, temporarily anchoring it in place and preserving the hair.At some point, the follicle will begin to grow again, softening the anchor point of the shaft initially. The hair base will break free from the root and the hair will be shed. Within two weeks the new hair shaft will begin to emerge once the telogen phase is complete. The process results in normal hair loss known as shedding.
How Does Red Light Therapy Fit In?
There are many studies out there that purport that treatments with red light therapy can encourage better regrowth of hair in areas of the scalp that are displaying signs of balding or thinning (4; 5; 6; 7).
The studies used both men and women showing symptoms of hair thinning to various degrees and shaved a small spot of hair on their heads and took photos of the shave spots and various stages through the treatments. Some of the subjects were treated with the real devices while others were treated with a ‘fake’ red light device that was a plain red coloured light device.
Although the exact mechanism is not quite known, 2 main actions are believed to be at work:
- Red Light Therapy causes a number of reactions within the cells mitochondria which leads to increased ATP production (cellular energy) and with this increase in energy comes the increase in function of the hair follicles and associated cells.
- Red Light Therapy prolongs the growing phase and can even re-establish the growing phase, even after the hair follicle itself has entered into the resting stage, which in turn cause the shedding phase to be pushed back further.
Basically, your hair grows for a longer period of time before being shed, which is a natural part of the process, allowing new hair to grow back.
The conclusion found that the subjects in the experiments, that got treated with the actual device showed a significant increase in hair regrowth speed as well as a increase in hair count over the treated area!
Improvement is reported after 12 to 26 weeks of use, with reduced hair fall and noticeable hair growth.
It should also be noted, that as of this writing, no ill side effects were reported , nor have any been reported in any experiments with red and infrared light therapy!
Treatment Times and Intensity for Hair Growth
Treatment times for hair growth is recommended as anything from 2 to 10 minutes and can easily be applied with a small hand held device, similar to Red Light Risings Target Light device, which can be used directly onto you hairline.
Red Light Therapy brings a potenital solution to those looking to re-grow hair, or thicken their hair, where there were not many before. The results shown increased hair growth speed and hair count.
If you have any questions, thoughts or feedback, please reach out to us through Social Media or our Contact Us page.
The Red Light Rising Team
The free online CSS code beautifier takes care of your dirty code and strips every unwanted